Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Memorial Healthcare System is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion as a key strategic initiative that aligns with our values and strategic priorities. The diversity, equity and inclusion strategy supports and enriches our mission — to heal the body, mind and spirit of those we touch — by ensuring we deliver equitable outcomes for both our care providers and our patients.
Datasource: DEI Overview
Mission: Be a DEI healthcare leader that is committed to equitable outcomes and a culture of belonging for all stakeholders.
Vision: Integrate DEI as an essential business component and realize organizational objectives to be leaders in providing culturally competent, patient- and family-centered care.
Strategic direction: Provide DEI guidance, direction and best-practice models in alignment with Memorial’s organizational pillars: safety, quality, service, people, finance, growth and community.
Our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Goals
Memorial’s Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion leads and guides the system’s efforts to:
- Ensure the delivery of culturally competent, patient- and family-centered care
- Recruit, retain and nurture a diverse workforce
- Reduce and eliminate health disparities for historically marginalized communities
- Execute best-in-class Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services (CLAS)
Memorial’s Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion will continue to support the system’s strategy to address the healthcare needs of the LGBTQ+ community by continuously seeking out best practices to ensure that the LGBTQ+ community will receive equitable care at each interaction at all Memorial facilities.
Learn more with the following LGBTQ+ resources:
- National LGBT Health Education Center provides educational programs, resources and consultation to healthcare organizations with the goal of optimizing quality, cost-effective healthcare for LGBTQIA individuals.
- PFLAG is the largest organization for LGBTQ+ people, their parents and families, and allies. PFLAG is a grassroots network committed to creating a world where diversity is celebrated and all people are respected, valued and affirmed.
- National Center for Transgender Equality is a national social justice organization. It provides advocacy and education on national issues of importance to transgender people. This site provides links to a wealth of information about policies, statistics and issues such as aging, discrimination, immigration and healthcare.
- GLBT National Hotline provides a safe space for callers to speak confidentially with peers about issues and concerns including coming out issues, gender and/or sexuality identities, relationship concerns, bullying, workplace issues, HIV/AIDS anxiety, safer sex information, suicide and more.
- The Trevor Project provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to LGBTQ people under 25.
- CDC – Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Health is the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's site. It provides information and statistics about health issues including sexually transmitted diseases, violence prevention, and adolescent and school health.
- The Human Rights Campaign focuses on three pillars of action to end discrimination and fight for change: mobilizing equality voters, educating the public about LGBTQ issues and advancing pro-equality policy and litigation.
- The Pride Center at Equality Park provides a welcoming, safe space — an inclusive home that celebrates, nurtures and empowers the LGBTQ+ communities and our friends and neighbors in South Florida.
- Sun Serve recognizes that the entire LGBTQ community has the right to quality care, and their mission is to provide critical life assistance and professional mental health services.
- TransSOCIAL is a Trans-led non-profit that works to expand safe and affirming resources for our TLGBQ+ community. We offer direct services including name and gender marker change assistance, affirming medical and mental health referrals, peer support groups and cultural sensitivity training.
Learn more about our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion by browsing the following resources:
The Memorial Experience — Deeper Caring, Smarter Healthcare — is positively impacted by diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI).
- Memorial Healthcare System Non-Discrimination Statement
- Patient Non-Discrimination: In accordance with Memorial Healthcare System Standard Practice Statement of Rights & Responsibilities of Patients, no discrimination is permitted and patient consideration should always take place without regard to race, age, religion, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental handicap or disability, etc. All Memorial employees are expected to treat all patients with respect and provide quality care no matter their sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
- Equal Employment Policy and Career Opportunities
- Community Health Needs Assessment Report
- Equal Visitation Policy
- Equal Visitation: In accordance with Memorial Healthcare System Standard Practice Statement of Rights & Responsibilities of Patients, the patient’s visitation rights include the right to receive visitors they designate, including but not limited to a spouse, a domestic partner (including a same sex domestic partner) or a friend.
- Interpreting and Translating Services
- Statement of Rights and Responsibilities of Patient
English | Spanish
If you have any questions or concerns about diversity, equity, and inclusion at Memorial Healthcare System, please email DEI@mhs.net.