Herschel Scher, MD
Medical Director, Pediatric Pulmonology, Palm Beach Operations, Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital
I am a board-certified pediatric pulmonologist, and my patients represent the full spectrum of pulmonary conditions and allergies, from infancy to adolescence. The main conditions I treat are asthma and cystic fibrosis.
My research interests include clinical pharmacology of drugs used in respiratory medicine, and respiratory infections in cystic fibrosis patients. I’m currently running the Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital pulmonology research division, where we participate in national and international research studies.
Being a physician was always my dream, and I was always interested in pulmonology. Pediatrics attracted me because I love children, and I have no regrets about that choice. I’m compassionate, enthusiastic and very dedicated. I aim to improve the quality of life of the patient. Many patients have gone through a lot and are fighting hard to improve their health with major sacrifices.
Seeing very sick patients recover and being able to make a difference in their lives is very rewarding. I most enjoy the basic interaction with the patient and the family, and improving the lives of the children. I look forward to coming to work every day and bringing smiles to their faces. In my spare time, I like playing golf, watching sports, reading and the outdoors.Related Medical Services
Meet Dr. Scher
- Kimberley Hospital, 1984
- Groote Schuur Hospital, 1992, Pediatrics
- Groote Schuur Hospital, 1994, Pediatric Allergy and Immunology
- Long Island Jewish Medical Center, 1998, Pediatrics
- University Of Iowa Hospitals And Clinics, 1998, Pediatric Allergy and Immunology
- Allergy Society of South Africa/Glaxo Traveling Scholarship, 1993
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American College of Chest Physicians
- Fellow, College of Physicians, College of Medicine of South Africa