At the pediatric radiology department of Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital, we know that children are not simply smaller adults. Our advanced technology and special training combine to deliver safe, expert care in a nonthreatening environment. Our dedicated technologists, nurses, support staff and board-certified pediatric radiologists are here for your family, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
We are proud to participate in a nationwide initiative called Image Gently®, a program of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging. This demonstrates our commitment to lowering and limiting radiation exposure in children.
Advanced Imaging Technology
Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital’s advanced radiology technologies feature innovative pediatric imaging. Each technology is designed to deliver accurate images with “as low as reasonably achievable” (ALARA) doses of radiation.
Our pediatric radiology services include:
- Fluoroscopy – An advanced X-ray procedure that provides a continuous beam and shows a moving image, like an X-ray movie
- Interventional radiology – Minimally invasive procedures that can sometimes prevent a child from having anesthesia or surgery
- Nuclear medicine – Imaging technology that uses small amounts of radioactive material to diagnose and determine the severity of many diseases
- CT (computed tomography) scans – Nuclear medicine that produces multiple images and cross-section or three-dimensional views inside the body in far greater detail than X-rays
- PET (positron emission tomography) – A type of nuclear medicine that measures important body functions, like blood flow
- Pediatric MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) – A powerful imaging technology that uses magnetic fields, radiofrequency pulses and computers to diagnose and treat children
- Ultrasound imaging – Also known as sonography, this scan uses high-frequency sound waves to produce images inside the body
- X-rays – Noninvasive test that uses small amounts of radiation to produce images of bones
Patient- and Family-Centered Care for Children
Children and families who need the pediatric radiology department often are unsure of what to expect. We do everything that we can to alleviate fear and anxiety and make your experience more comfortable. Special features include:
- Valet parking
- Specialized pediatric sedation
- A child life specialist to guide you every step of the way
- A pirate-themed CT scanning room, where kids get to “walk the plank” and are cared for by “pirates,” complete with swords and parrots
- A model CT scanner, where children can “scan” a teddy bear to prepare for the experience
- Hospital-wide programs like clown therapy, “Pet-a-Pet,” playrooms and “Tu-Tu Tuesdays” to add smiles to difficult times
To schedule an appointment, call 954-265-5881.