Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency Program
Program Director's Welcome
Datasource: Meet the OB/GYN Residency Program Director
Thank you for your interest in the Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency Program at Memorial Healthcare System. We are excited to launch our new program with the mission of providing a unique and exceptional training experience that will develop the necessary proficiency to be a skillful, knowledgeable and compassionate Obstetrician/Gynecologist, prepared to meet the challenges of providing women’s healthcare in today’s environment and well into the future.
Obstetrics and Gynecology is in many ways a multidisciplinary specialty that often requires collaboration with numerous other branches of medicine. Consequently, incorporating a multidisciplinary approach to the care of our patients is a core philosophy of the program. Our experienced team of obstetricians and gynecologists work closely with their colleagues in other fields, including emergency medicine, surgery and anesthesia. We believe this collaboration of disciplines allows us to provide an array of conventional and unique obstetrics and gynecology services in South Florida and a strong clinical experience resulting in outstanding patient outcomes.
Our healthcare system is recognized nationally as one of the few meeting new standards in managing successful and safe outcomes in maternity (Leapfrog), and we believe in a progressive approach to the integration of new tools and technology whenever possible in order to achieve success for our physicians and their patients.
We expect residents who complete our program will be recognized as tomorrow’s leaders for women’s healthcare in their communities, fully able to meet the requirements of today’s demanding healthcare environment through collaboration, engagement, and a strong focus on patient safety and communication.
About Our OB/GYN Residency Program
Datasource: OB/GYN Residency Program
- We are a Community-based program. The program is sponsored by the Memorial Healthcare System. The System trains hundreds of medical students each year and is affiliated with Florida Atlantic University (FAU), Florida International University (FIU), and Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine.
- 24/7 Hospitalist and Intensivist coverage. In-house attending physicians are available for assistance at all times and residents are not required to meet the service needs of the hospital which allows for a better educational experience.
- Great patient diversity and an exciting range of pathology which rivals any large inner-city hospital and reflects the demographic diversity of South Florida.
- Our medium-sized program allows us to get to know each of our residents on a personal level and provides a learning environment rich with camaraderie and an ability to develop one-on-one relationships with colleagues, faculty and mentors.
- Exposure to cutting-edge service delivery models like our Telehealth service, Mobile Health Units, as well as remote and wireless fetal monitoring.
- We participate in the Florida Perinatal Quality Collaborative project (FPQC) as well as national patient safety initiatives which provide the opportunity to participate in research and public health initiatives, as well as present data at state and national meetings.
- We have an Office of Human Research with our own IRB. The Chief Medical Research Officer and her team will assist residents with the development of their research and submission to the IRB. Participation in some form of scholarly activity is mandatory for graduation from the program. In addition, residents will be trained in the basic concepts of QI and Patient Safety and will have the opportunity to participate in QI projects during their training.
- Large obstetrical and gynecology volumes (approximately 8000 deliveries are performed at Memorial Hospital West and Memorial Regional combined), a highly diverse patient population across the spectrum of women’s health needs provide residents with an intense experience in patient care and complex decision making.
- As part of our network of teaching facilities, there is a dedicated children’s hospital as well as a State and American College of Surgeons Designated Level I Trauma Center.
- Memorial Hospital West is one of few hospitals recognized nationally as one of the Top Hospitals for its performance in achieving Leapfrog safety measures in maternity services.
- Overnight call is limited only to those rotations where there is a corresponding learning experience.
- An $18 million, 66,000 sq. ft., three story Simulation Center at Broward College will help to train residents in the most advanced simulation and robotic surgical skills.
About Memorial Hospital West
Memorial Hospital West opened in May 1992 with 100 beds to serve the growing population of western Broward. Today, the hospital has 486 beds and provides high-quality, patient- and family-centered care.
Some of Our 2018 Statistics
- 3,956 Births
- 544 Laparoscopic procedures (includes laparoscopic and robotic surgery)
Datasource: MHW Admissions
Datasource: Emergency Department Visits
About Memorial Regional Hospital
Memorial Regional Hospital, the flagship facility of Memorial Healthcare System, is one of the largest hospitals in Florida, with a reputation for advanced medicine and technology. The 571-bed hospital is one of six Level I Trauma Centers in the state qualified to treat the most severe, life-threatening injuries.
Among its renowned programs are:
- Regional High Risk Pregnancy referral center for complex obstetrical cases
- Level 1 Trauma Center
- Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute
- Memorial Cancer Institute
- Memorial Neuroscience Institute
- Memorial Rehabilitation Institute
- Bariatric Surgery Center recognized by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP)
Some of Our 2018 Statistics
- 5,088 Births
- 49 Vaginal Hysterectomies
- 441 Abdominal Hysterectomies
- 153 Laparoscopic/Robotic procedures
Datasource: MRH Admissions
Datasource: ER Visits
About Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital
Established in 1992, Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital is one of the region's leading pediatric hospitals, offering a comprehensive scope of healthcare services and programs in a child-friendly atmosphere. A full-service children's specialty hospital, we treat minor illnesses, trauma-related accidents and some of the most complex medical conditions.
- 226-bed pediatric regional referral center
- 650 physicians on medical staff providing care in more than 30 pediatric medical and surgical specialties
- Recognized by U.S. News and World Report as a "Best Children's Hospital" in multiple specialties
Some of Our Statistics
Datasource: Set callout here
Datasource: Set callout here
About Broward College Health Sciences Simulation Center
The Broward College Health Sciences Simulation Center (HSSC) is a three story, 66,000 sq. ft. learning facility designed to mirror an acute care hospital. HSSC provides realistic experiences, using the latest medical simulation technology, for future health care providers, entry level health science professionals and current community decision makers by allowing them to experience real life situations within a safe learning environment through team collaboration.
- Basic principles of surgery
- Real hospital equipment
- Simulation and robotic surgery
- Web based surgical training