Luis Raez, MD
Medical Director and Chief Scientific Officer, Memorial Cancer Institute
I am a hematologist/oncologist at Memorial Cancer Institute, part of Memorial Healthcare System, where I specialize in treating patients with lung and head and neck cancers. I also lead the Thoracic Oncology Program in my role as Director.
I was inspired to pursue a career in medicine by my father, who was also a physician. I grew up watching him making an impact on his patients’ lives and wanted to follow in his footsteps. While cancer care can be very challenging, it is also rewarding to help someone through a difficult time and make a positive impact on their life.
I am board certified in internal medicine and medical oncology and am board eligible in hematology, and have been caring for patients with cancer for more than 20 years.
A critical component of my work at Memorial is cancer research. I design phase I-III clinical trials with new chemotherapeutic agents and combinations, as well as perform translational research in the areas of cancer vaccines. My research has been funded by the National Cancer Institute and the pharmaceutical industry.
I also teach the next generation of oncologists. I am a clinical professor of medicine at Florida International University (FIU), research professor at Florida Atlantic University (FAU) and visiting professor of medicine at Cayetano Heredia University (UPCH) in Peru.
I am active in many medical organizations and give oral presentations and lectures during national and international meetings in the US, Europe, Latin America, and Asia. Currently, I am president of the Florida Society of Clinical Oncology (FLASCO), the international chair of the IASLC-Latin American Meeting (LALCA) since 2014; chairman for the Miami Best of ASCO since 2014, chair and founder of the Miami Cancer Meeting (MCM) since 2002, and co-chairman of the Puerto Rico Fall Cancer Symposia (FCS) since 2010.Related Medical Services
Meet Dr. Raez
- Facultad De Medicina De La Univ Peruana Cayetano, 1992
- Jackson Memorial Hospital, 1994, Internal Medicine
- Jackson Memorial Hospital, 1996, Internal Medicine
- Jackson Memorial Hospital, 1999, Oncology and Hematology
American Board of Internal Medicine-Medical Oncology
- Medical Science Monitor
- Clinical Lung Cancer
- British Journal of Cancer
- Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy
- The Oncologist
- Expert Anticancer Review
- Bio Med Central
- World Journal of Surgical Oncology
- Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy
- Clinical Medicine Insights: Therapeutics
- Outstanding Resident of the Year, Internal Medicine Department, University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital, American College of Physicians, Florida Chapter
- Physicians’ Recognition Award for Continuing Medical Education, American Medical Association
- Research Career Development Award, American Society of Clinical Oncology
- “Who’s Who in Medicine and Health Care”
- “Who’s Who in America”
- “Outstanding Intellectuals of the 20th Century”
- “Who’s Who in Science and Engineering”
- “The Best Doctors in America”
- “Guide to America’s Top Physicians”
- “Who’s Who in the World”
- “Who’s Who Among Executives and Professionals Throughout the World
- The Peruvian Medical Association
- American College of Physicians
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Cancer Society
- American Society of Hematology
- American Association of Cancer Research
- Eastern Oncology Cooperative Group
- North Central Cancer Treatment Group
- American College of Chest Physicians
- American College of Specialists in Geriatrics
- International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer
- European Society of Medical Oncology
- Florida Society of Clinical Oncology
- “Molecular Genetics of Treatment Response in Lung Cancer Disparities,” SCCC intramural grant, 2008-2009
- II Latin-American Cancer Symposia. Chicago May 30th 2015. “Use of Nab-Paclitaxel in non-small cell lung cancer”.
- World Lung Cancer Congress 2015. “Genomic Profile in Hispanic Patients with Lung Cancer”. Denver Colorado, September 7th 2015.
- World Lung Cancer Congress 2015. “NRTK and PTPN11 Inhibitors if NSCLC”. Denver Colorado, September 8th 2015.
- Annual Cayman Islands Cancer Conference. “Targeted Therapy and Immunotherapy for Lung Cancer”. Georgetown, September 18th 2015.
- 2015 Best of ASCO: Caribbean Islands. “Lung Cancer Immunotherapy”. Puerto Rico October 17th 2015.
- European Society of Clinical Oncology (ESMO): Latino-American Training Workshop. “Phase IV Clinical Trials” and “Observational Studies”. Lima, Peru. October 28-29th 2015.
- 2015 Puerto Rico Fall Cancer Symposium (FCS). “Chemotherapy and Targeted Therapy for SQCC”. Puerto Rico November 1th 2015.
- 2015 Puerto Rico Fall Cancer Symposium (FCS). “Squamous Cell Carcinomas of the Head and Neck”. Puerto Rico November 1th 2015.
- Best of 2015 World Lung Conference. “Immunotherapy for Lung Cancer”. Lima, Peru. February 5th, 2016.
- IASLC: International Training Workshop in Clinical Trials. Faculty and Mentor. April 28-30th 2016. Santiago de Chile 2016.
- International eCancer Symposium in Cancer and Radiotherapy: “Targeted Therapy for Non-small cell lung cancer. Santiago de Chile, May 6, 2016.
- International eCancer Symposium in Cancer and Radiotherapy: “Immunotherapy and Targeted Therapy for Head and Neck Cancers. Santiago de Chile, May 6, 2016.
- Peruvian Society of Medical Oncology (SPOM) XV Annual Congress. “Are there Limitations for Immunotherapy in Lung Cancer”. Lima-Peru; July 15, 2016.
- Peruvian Society of Medical Oncology (SPOM) XV Annual Congress. “Immunotherapy in MMR deficient Tumors”. Lima-Peru; July 16, 2016.