We also offer heart transplant surgery. In fact, we were the first hospital in Broward County to perform an adult heart transplant.
What Is Heart Failure?
Your heart’s job is to pump oxygen-rich blood to the rest of your body. Heart failure means that the heart can’t pump as well as it should. If blood and fluid back up into the lungs, the condition is called congestive heart failure.
Many heart-related conditions can cause heart failure, including heart attack, heart valve disease, coronary artery disease, cardiomyopathy and congenital heart disease. In most cases, heart failure is a chronic condition. Certain viruses can also cause heart failure.
Heart failure can greatly affect your quality of life, with symptoms such as:
- Extreme tiredness
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling in the legs and ankles
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach pain
How We Treat Heart Failure at Memorial
We bring hope to people dealing with the symptoms of heart failure. Our nurses, doctors, pharmacists and other specialists work together to provide patient-centered care and support.
- Dedicated clinic with advanced heart failure specialists: Our clinic at Memorial Regional Hospital acts as a comprehensive center for people with heart failure. You can get testing, review your medications, receive infusion therapy, talk with a pharmacist and see any specialist you need in one place.
- Full range heart failure treatments: Because heart failure can range from mild to severe, we offer a full spectrum of care, including:
- Medical therapy: A cardiologist will review your medical history, talk to your other doctors and order medications that can help control your heart failure. The right medication therapy can mean the difference between suffering difficult symptoms (like swelling and tiredness) and being able to move around and enjoy life again.
- Ventricular assist devices (VAD): For people whose hearts are growing weaker, we offer mechanical support via a ventricular assist device (VAD). A VAD helps your heart pump blood more effectively. Sometimes it acts as an interim step before heart transplant surgery.
- Heart transplants: For patients who qualify, heart transplant surgery can be lifesaving and life-changing. Find out more about Memorial’s highly successful heart transplant program.
- Compassionate, patient-centered care: We get to know our patients. When you’re here with us, you’re family. It’s not uncommon for our staff to bring in snacks for patients who will be here all day, or for nurses and doctors to call and check on patients when we’re off-duty.
- Adult congenital heart care: Sometimes heart failure is linked to a congenital heart condition. As an Adult Congenital Heart Disease Accredited Comprehensive Care Center, we provide specialized, lifelong care for adults with congenital heart disease. We were the first program in Florida and one of only two in the state to earn this distinction from the Adult Congenital Heart Disease Association. Find out more about our adult congenital heart disease program.
- American College of Cardiology Accreditation: Memorial Regional Hospital has earned Advanced Heart Failure Accreditation from the American College of Cardiology. This demonstrates our expertise and commitment for treating patients with heart failure. We were one of first hospitals in Florida to receive this accreditation and one of only a handful around the country with the distinction.
Contact Us for Heart Failure Treatments
To schedule an appointment or learn more about heart and vascular care at Memorial, call 954-265-7750.