Adult Congenital Heart Disease Program
COVID-19 Vaccine Notice
At this time, no data suggests that congenital heart patients are at any increased risk for problems associated with the COVID-19 vaccination. We recommend all patients get the vaccine when you are able to do so. If you have previously had vaccine-specific side effects, you should discuss those with your primary care provider.
Visit our COVID-19 Vaccination Updates page for the latest information and to register for an appointment.
Approximately 1.4 million adults live with adult congenital heart disease (ACHD). It can be hard for these individuals to find the specialized treatment they need. At Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute, we are committed to providing that care to patients and families in South Florida.
The Adult Congenital Heart Association (ACHA) accredited Memorial Regional Hospital and Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital as a ACHA ACHD Accredited Comprehensive Care Center for adult congenital heart disease. We are the first heart program in Florida to earn ACHD accreditation and one of only a few programs around the country to receive this recognition. Accreditation means we have met rigorous criteria demonstrating that we offer comprehensive services that adults with congenital heart disease may need over their lifetimes.
Why Do Adults With Congenital Heart Disease Need Specialized Care?
Datasource: Comprehensive Adult Congenital Heart Disease Program
Advances in medicine have made it possible for the great majority of children born with congenital heart disease to survive and thrive into adulthood. Yet fewer than 10 percent of those adults see an ACHD cardiologist.
ACHD cardiologists have specialized training in congenital conditions, including congenital heart disease and pregnancy. They have in-depth understanding of how the experiences of adulthood can affect the structures of a heart with a congenital condition. For example, we see adults who have had a valve replaced, had a hole in their heart repaired or were treated for any number of conditions that affected their heart’s blood vessels.
From special care during pregnancy to procedures or surgeries, we monitor any changes in your heart and help you stay healthy for a long time to come.
Why Choose Memorial's Adult Cardiology Program?
Datasource: Adult Congenital Heart Program Earns National Accreditation l WDPSKRpZN9s
We work closely with other cardiologists to make sure you receive personalized, highly skilled treatment. We offer:
- Prestigious ACHD accreditation: The Adult Congenital Heart Association awards Comprehensive Care Center accreditation to centers capable of providing everything adults with congenital heart conditions may need, in one heart center. At Memorial, we offer all of those services. We’re also on the cutting edge of using new devices to treat congenital conditions. For instance, we have experience with newer transcatheter valves that can reduce the number of surgeries an adult with a congenital condition may need.
- Care for all ages: Congenital cardiologists work with both children and adults. We treat children with congenital heart disease at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital. As young patients become teenagers, we begin to transition them to the adult program. Ultimately, our patients can keep their heart care in one place, over their entire lifetime.
- Specialized pregnancy care: We see many women with congenital heart disease who are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant. Beyond counseling and routine services, we offer complete support for cardiac-related high-risk pregnancies. We also provide genetic testing for inherited congenital heart conditions.
- Full spectrum of care: Whether you need a routine procedure or heart surgery, we offer a range of treatments. We perform heart transplant surgery for adults and children.
- Multilingual care: We have bi-lingual team members available for patients who speak Spanish, and can provide interpretation phone services to assist patients who speak other foreign languages. *Personal que habla Español disponible.
Contact Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute ACHD Program
To schedule an appointment or learn more about the adult congenital heart disease program at Memorial, call 954-265-2243.