Why Choose Memorial Transplant Institute
Memorial Transplant Institute combines medical and surgical expertise with an unwavering dedication to making sure you receive the best care possible. Our integrated approach to meeting all your transplant needs means you can concentrate on what matters most: living your life to the fullest.
We offer innovative kidney and heart transplant procedures such as:
- Cross match transplant: We provide medical treatment before surgery to increase the chances that your body will accept a new kidney.
- Preemptive transplant: We provide kidney transplant before organ deterioration requires dialysis.
- Ventricular Assist Devices (VAD): We implant mechanical pumps while you wait for heart transplant or until your heart becomes stronger.
And for our kidney donors — the selfless people providing hope and life — we offer a robust living donor kidney recovery program. Our living donor program offers both open and laparoscopic (minimally invasive) nephrectomies (removal of kidney) to make donation easier and recovery faster.
What makes us stand out
It's not just our expertise that distinguishes our program. We understand how heart or kidney failure affects every aspect of your life. That's why we created an integrative program that puts your needs first, from surgery to recovery to ongoing monitoring.
Our commitment to providing you with integrated, individualized care includes:
Since 2010, our program has successfully performed more than 40 pediatric transplants. Because of our pediatric program's high standards and results, in 2017 Optum invited us to join their nationally recognized Transplant Center of Excellence network. Here are a few of our program's highlights:
- Infant-to-adult treatment: Memorial Transplant Institute provides a through line of unified care for newborns to adults. Our full range of pediatric services includes the most active pediatric heart transplant program in South Florida and our comprehensive pediatric kidney program. Learn more about pediatric heart transplant and our pediatric kidney transplant capabilities.
- Superior leadership: Our leadership includes doctors who are known around the world for excellent transplant care.
- Extensive experience: Memorial Regional Hospital was the first in Broward County to offer heart transplants for adults. We are also one of the most active heart transplant programs in Florida. Our experience helps us do what matters the most – provide you with excellent care and outcomes. Learn more about our heart surgery volumes and outcomes.
Care Tailored to You
- Patient- and family-centered care: We deliver a range of services, adapted to your unique situation, to prepare you physically, emotionally and financially for the issues a transplant involves. We consider your cultural traditions, preferred language (many in our transplant team are bilingual), personal preferences and values, family situations and lifestyles whenever we suggest potential procedures.
- Seamless teamwork: Our dedicated transplant team – surgeons, advanced practice nurses, nutritionists, social workers, pharmacists, physical therapists and financial coordinators –are committed to working together to give you the smoothest transplant experience possible.
- Care for your entire lifetime: We are the only pediatric and adult provider for both heart and kidney transplant in the area. The benefits of staying in one system have many payoffs, including consistency, familiarity and better coordination of care.
- Everything you need in one convenient location: Our adult patients see all their necessary transplant specialists in one convenient location — a dedicated section of Memorial Regional Hospital with its own separate offices, waiting rooms and facilities. For children who need a transplant, Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital offers advanced care all under one roof as well.
- Exceptional accessibility: When you come to Memorial Regional Hospital, you will see clear signage, valet parking and team members on each floor happy to escort you to your appointment if needed.
- 24/7 support: Swift, friendly communication is important to Memorial Transplant Institute, because we know it's important to you. You or your family members can call 954-265-7450 at any time for questions or concerns you have regarding your care.